Welcome to the Dragon's Pen, the blog of an aspiring kiwi author ... chatting about reading, writing, querying and publishing

Sunday, December 6, 2009

A Curse Dark as Gold

Since I promised to review the books I have been reading, here are my thoughts on A Curse Dark as Gold by Elizabeth C. Bunce which I finished a few days ago.

Follow the link above to visit Elizabeth's site and see further reviews of the book.

I admit it took me a little while to get into the story, but once there I was hooked.

This is a fairytale-meets-novel with a twist: The classic Rumpelstiltskin story re-wrought.

It's a dark story haunted by ghosts and the evil deeds of the past. And while it is fantasy, it is set in a reality so close to our own cultural past you feel it might perhaps be a true story or a legend from our own history. For me, this helped heighten the suspense and the terror as the story unfolded.

This is a story about love and loyalty to those who depend upon us and self-sacrifice, of ancient hatreds and grief, and of a battle to lay the ghosts of the past to rest.

If you like a spooky story with suspense, intrigue and a bit of romance I recommend A Curse Dark as Gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment