Welcome to the Dragon's Pen, the blog of an aspiring kiwi author ... chatting about reading, writing, querying and publishing

Monday, May 18, 2009

Lynn Truss on Punctuation

Eats Shoots and Leaves by Lynn Truss, is officially one of my all time favourite books. Who would have thought a book about punctuation could have me giggling and snorting, my nose so glued to the page, I honestly couldn't put it down once I started reading it.

I'm going to share a couple of her little gems of wisdom with you, just to whet your appetite.

Taken from the "style book of a national newspaper: punctuation is 'a courtesy designed to help readers to understand a story without stumbling'."

Punctuation is just good manners and: "Truly good manners are invisible: they ease the way for others, without drawing attention to themselves."

"Punctuation directs you how to read, in the way musical notation directs a musician how to play."

What a lovely picture. Who ever dreamed punctuation could be so artistic, so beautiful, so precisely particular?!

Get the book! It is a must for every bookshelf.

3 comments:

  1. I love her anal side - the stories she tells from her holidays and trips, most recall what they saw and where they went, she recalls the punctuation errors. I especially love the punctuation repair kit that comes with the book for fixing signs of varying sizes that you spot when you are out and about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I brought my copy from fishpond. I didn't get a repair kit! :(

    ReplyDelete