Welcome to the Dragon's Pen, the blog of an aspiring kiwi author ... chatting about reading, writing, querying and publishing

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Wildwood Dancing

Wildwood Dancing is written by Juliet Marillier. Born in Dunedin, New Zealand, she now lives by the Swan river in Perth, Australia. This was her first YA novel but she has gone on to write a number of others which I can't wait to get my hands on.

I read Wildwood Dancing over two days. It was near impossible to put down, grabbing my attention and ensnaring my curiosity from the first sentence:

"I've heard it said that girls can't keep secrets. That's wrong; we'd proved it. We'd kept ours for year and years, ever since we stumbled on the way into the Other Kingdom."

Who could resist? I couldn't!

Set in Transylvania, Wildwood Dancing draws on the mythology and rich folklore of the region, mixing it and melding it with familiar elements of common fairytales. There are hints of the Frog Prince and the Twelve Dancing Princesses, stories I know and love from my childhood.

The book is rich in fantasy and imagination. Darkness and the foolishness of greed overshadows everything even as love seeks to overcome it. Things are not always as they seem. The st
range and wonderful revelations kept me turning the pages, hungering for more and desperate for true love to prevail. And yes, I even shed a tear or too.

So I'm adding this to my list of favourites. I hope you enjoy it too.


Five adventurous sisters...

Four dark creatures...

Three magical gifts...

Two forbidden loves...

One enchanted frog...



From the blurb:
"The Wildwood holds many mysteries. Jena and her sisters share the biggest of all, a fantastic secret that enables them to escape the confines of their everyday life in rural Transylvania. When their father falls ill and must leave their forest home over the winter, Jena and her older sister Tati are left in charge.

All goes well until a tragic accident allows their overbearing cousin Ceza to take control. The appearance of a mysterious young man in a black coat divides sister from sister, and suddenly Jena finds herself fighting to save all she holds dear. With her constant companion, Gogu,by her side, she must venture to realms dark and perilous in her quest to preserve, not just those she loves, but her own independence as well."

No comments:

Post a Comment