Welcome to the Dragon's Pen, the blog of an aspiring kiwi author ... chatting about reading, writing, querying and publishing

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Reading Bliss

Well, I haven't blogged for a few days - the reason?

I have been reading Stephenie Meyer's Eclipse , the third book in the Vampire love-story series. Yesterday, I sent most of the afternoon, encamped on the lawn, with my nose stuck between the pages - another great read!

Lots of people write these books off as silly teen vampire/fantasy romance; but I know plenty of adult women who are just as enchanted by them. And the teens who are reading them are not only girls - boys are enjoying them just as much, which probably has something to do with the werewolves. If girls have a thing about vampires, it's the werewolves that do it for the guys.

One thing I must say about Stephenie Meyer, which I truly appreciate, is the way her prose flows. It literally pulls you effortlessly through the story - before you know it you're on the last page and craving the next book - this is a talent. Nothing jars or grates as you read. You're never pulled up sharp, feeling slapped in the face, by an awkward sentence, hideous grammar or uncouth punctuation. Which happens often these days (sigh) - especially when one is a writer, I think we are more aware of flaws like this than other readers might be.

The other thing I admire in Stephenie's work is her mythology. These Twilight books (as everyone is calling them) are unlike other vampire books - take Anne Rice for example. Her (Stephenie's) vampires are not like anyone else's - nor are her werewolves, for that matter. She has taken the traditional vampire mythology and turned it on it's head. And while some purist's are jumping up and down and screaming: "You can't do that! They aren't real vampires!" I say: "You go girl!" It takes guts to buck the statusquo. It takes courage - especially as a new writer - to try to pull off something like this: It'll either be a great success or an epic fail! In Stephenie's case we have an Epic Success. One of the things that is so hard to do in fantasy writing is to pull off a convincing mythology, but I think she does it admirably.

Well, done Steph!

2 comments:

  1. I have been meaning to read these books but I have a no non-textbook rule during uni semesters, which is horribly mean, but it ensures I actually do my readings. I am a book addict. If I start one I cannot do anything else until I finish it. Not good when you are trying to pass studies.

    I wistfully stare at the books my kids have bought or been given for Christmas or have found at the library and then snap myself out of it with a firm NO. I have my list pretty much set for the upcoming semester break and I intend to ensure Meyer's books are on it by buying one for Sherry's birthday.... what? .... she really wants to read them too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make sure you have a few completely free days 'cause once you start one of these books you're not going to want to put it down - and the instant you're done you'll be dying to read the next one.

    One of these days I'll love to get the whole lot and read them all one after the other. (ha,ha)

    Happy twilight reading!

    ReplyDelete