Welcome to the Dragon's Pen, the blog of an aspiring kiwi author ... chatting about reading, writing, querying and publishing

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Confession Time

This is my editors hat.

Isn't she beautiful?

Black. Formal. Sensible. But with a dash of colour that hints at a fun and adventurous side. Anything can happen...



Hi Everyone.

Thought I'd pop in briefly and say "Hi." It has been a while hasn't it?

It has been very quiet here at the Dragon's Pen. I haven't had much to say ... mostly, to be honest, because I haven't been doing much book-wise.

Maybe I needed a break - maybe I've earned one?

I started writing this book approx seven months ago, finished it on a high and dived straight into editing only to get 12,000 words in and grind to a shrieking halt.

"It's too hard!"
"It's awful."
"I can't write. I'll never be able to do this story justice."
"I just don't feel like it right now."
"I'd rather read or play a computer game..."
"Blah-blah... Wah-wah..."

All these things have trotted though my mind over the last week or so. I've read some good books and spent way too many hours playing games on my computer. :)

But now I'm dreaming about Book Two and I must get this one finished.

The itch is back. So, I'm rolling up my sleeves and stapling my Editors Hat to my head so it can't fall off again (painful but necessary, believe me).

And I'm telling myself:

"I can write, really, I can."
"This story is awesome!"
(Insert growly voice) "Just stick your butt in the chair and get on with it!"

And other positive stuff like that.

So here goes ... again.

4 comments:

  1. You go girl. Of course you can write, and damn good too!
    I'm hanging out for the end result.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Sue! You are so encouraging, I think I'll keep you on a while yet ... or at least until you get completely sick of me.

    Can't wait to see your blog up and running!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course you can write, anyone can write but by no means everyone can write as well as you can...get to it! YOU CAN DO IT! I just hope you are not put off by my miaou-ing from across the Tasman!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks catdownunder. It's always wonderful to get that little bit of encouragement. We can be so hard on ourselves sometimes. We lap up every bit of encouragement we can get, don't we. :)

    And no - I'm not put off by your miaou-ing at all! It's awesome to have you drop by.

    ReplyDelete