Welcome to the Dragon's Pen, the blog of an aspiring kiwi author ... chatting about reading, writing, querying and publishing

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Hopes and Dreams for the Year to come

I'm writing again. Yippeee! It feels so good to be back.

So what is my writing plan for 2010?

  • Finish writing Tremorgan's Gift (YA fantasy) and edit
  • Begin writing Tremorgan's Quest (YA fantasy)
  • Explore potential agents and query
  • Complete final edit of Princess of the Pigsty (kids historical fiction)
  • Write Enigma (dark romance) - just for fun!

Yes, a New Year a new story.

I've decided to write a book - just for fun - not necessarily to publish, but just because I want to try something a bit different, an experiment if you will. This is a first for me. Everything I have ever written before has been with a view to be published. It is so liberating to write something just for kicks, just for me.

Enigma is a dark romance set in New England in the early 1800s. As often happens to me, I had a dream that was so vivid I feel compelled to commit it to paper (or hard drive, as the case maybe).

I dreamed about Enigma one night as I struggled to re-adjust my body clock after two nights of night-shift. That semi-sleep state is a wonderful catalyst for the muse. I dreamed the whole book from beginning to end as if I was watching a movie. Needless to say I was exhausted the next day, having only managed about three hours of deep sleep. YAWN!

I was so inspired I rang Sue and gave her a rambling rundown of the whole plot. (She was very patient with me, poor thing.) I then sat down and charted out the outline.

A down side to this is that its bound to slow down the writing of my YA fantasies. On the up side, it will keep me writing when I'm struggling and that can only be a good thing.

At the close of 2010, all things going well, I'll review these hopes and dreams and see just how many have come to pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment