Welcome to the Dragon's Pen, the blog of an aspiring kiwi author ... chatting about reading, writing, querying and publishing

Thursday, January 28, 2010

A New Book

No, this post isn't about another new idea I've had.

Today I went out and bought a book!

"Wow," you say. "So, what?"

Well, for me this is a big deal. Yes, I read huge numbers of books - I'm the kind who haunts libraries - and we own huge numbers of books too. But most of them are books I've bought for my kids, or non-fiction books about history, literature and mythology, or theology and philosophy (looks at hubby), or classics like Jane Austin, Charles Dickens, Georgette Heyer, C. S Lewis and Tolkien.

I actually don't own many modern novels.

GASP!

I know, shocking isn't it? It was a serious lack I noticed only recently.

Knowing I'm a compulsive reader, a friend ask if she could raid my bookshelves. Needless to say, she gave me a very odd look and said, "You don't have many real books do you."

Real books? They're classics! What more did she want? ;)

But she had I point. So I've started collecting "real books" - not for my kids, 'cause I'm always buying them books - but books for me!

My collection began with with my fav cousin gifting me the entire Twilight Saga (what a honey!) and today I bought myself Host. Now I have the complete Stephenie Meyer collection. Yes, I'm a fan - but I'm not stoopid about it.

I now have my sights firmly fixed on Vanda Symon's detective series. My first one should arrive in the post tomorrow. I'm watching the post box like a hawk.

I think I like collecting books. I don't think I'll ever have enough. Sigh.

What about you? What do you have in your collection?

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if I am that friend. Glad to see your shelves expand. Better than the waistline aye?
    Your question made me snoop through my shelves and here is a little of what they contain: All of Rosamunde Pilcher's novels, all of Maeve Binchy's and Edward Rutherfurd too. All of Sharon Penman's history novels but not her mysteries. Mary Stewart, R.F.Delderfield, Mauren Lee,Larry McMurtry, Nancy E Turner are all well represented too. And of course the classics. All of Jane Austen's (of course) and many others. I just love books. My house is full of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder which of us has more? It'd be close I bet. ;)

    ReplyDelete