Welcome to the Dragon's Pen, the blog of an aspiring kiwi author ... chatting about reading, writing, querying and publishing

Monday, November 1, 2010

Day One

So today I started writing MERCY ME, my NaNoWriMo Steampunk novel.

We got off to a bit of a shaky start, but that is to expected with the first draft of a brand new novel.

I'm still getting the feel of the characters, especially Mercy. It's written in first person, which aside from the odd short story isn't a POV I tend to use, so that is something of a challenge in itself. I'm much more comfortable writing in the third person.

The first 700 words felt a lot like pulling hen's teeth, but it got easier and after plugging away for a few hours I have reached today's goal of 1700 words. So over all I'm happy.

After all it doesn't matter so much at this point if it's a whole lot of dreadful waffle NaNo is all about getting the words on the page.

Besides, with the eclectic cast I have to work with and a plenty of chaos and misadventure to visit upon my poor main character I think we're in for a fun ride. So let the adventures begin!

4 comments:

  1. Woohoo! Well done. Me and Josiah are hanging out to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOOT it's first person... Even better

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol! Just for you Josiah. Just for you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on a good start! I'd never written in first person until I wrote the book that ended up getting published. My last one was in third person and it took me until me third draft to be comfortable with that again! Watch out... 1st person can be addictive once you get into it. :)

    ReplyDelete