Welcome to the Dragon's Pen, the blog of an aspiring kiwi author ... chatting about reading, writing, querying and publishing

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Fire of Hope

Today, for something different I thought I would share with you the story of mine which was published recently in FUEL FOR THE SOUL. Hope you enjoy it.




Fire of Hope

It was a cold morning. The kind of cold that ate into our bones and made our teeth chatter. Outside the world dozed under a layer of white frost that could be mistaken for snow. It blanketed the trees, hedges and cars, and sparkled on the road like a thick dusting of diamonds. My kids huddled over their school work, dressed in multiple layers, quilts tucked over their knees. Their breath hovered over the table in white clouds.

Crouched beside the fire box, I looked at the few pieces of wood I had left and felt something akin to despair: There was no money to buy more. I felt helpless. Arguing silently with myself about the wisdom of using the last of the fuel, I glanced at my kids.

My daughter's nose was red, her lips purple. She held her pencil in a mittened hand. That decided it for me.

The hungry flames licked at the meager reserves of wood. I huddled close to it, desperate to get warm before it was gone and the cold settled in for good. Bitting my lip, I racked my brain for a solution. There seemed to be only one. I prayed:I don't know how you can do this, Lord ... but I need your help ... I have to keep my kids warm...”

Beside me, the fire burned with dancing orange light. My kids were squabbling over the pencil sharpener, again. Sighing, I confiscated it and wandered into the kitchen to flick on the jug. I needed a coffee.

While the the jug boiled, I spooned instant coffee and a generous helping of sugar into a mug. Outside, gravel scrunched on the driveway. I couldn’t believe anyone was prepared to drive on that road. Curious, I moved to the window and looked out. The nose of a white station wagon was parked in my driveway. It was Kate.

Odd, what would she be doing here? I watched her get out of the car. She looked like she'd dressed for a trip to the antarctic. I waved. She smiled and headed for the front door.

I opened it before she knocked. “Hi! Come in.”

She shook her head. “I can't stop. I know you're low on wood and when I saw how cold it was this morning I was worried about you. I've brought you a boot load of wood. It's not a lot, but it should keep you warm for a few days.”

My jaw dropped and I stared at her, stunned. “Thank you.” I couldn't believe it!

You don't mind giving me a hand to unload it do you?”

I laughed. “Not at all.” That was the least I could do.

Kate had gone. I sat by a roaring fire, sipping my drink, and staring at the small mountain of wood stacked along the wall. A smile curled my lips. God had provided. He had found a way. "Thank you.” I whispered into my coffee.


*** Do not copy or publish all or part of this story without the permission of the author: R. E. Peoples (c) 2009***


No comments:

Post a Comment